Life during the Pandemic

 

PANDEMIC SERIES, ESSAY 1

On March 22, 2020, I wrote one of my first essays on what was at that time the “new” or “novel” coronavirus.  Like most, I was completely naïve, and mused about its expected duration, using terms like “heaven forbid that it lasts a month, much less two”.  Having had to gut it out for the better part of a year, however, when last year drew to a close the consensus view was “good riddance to 2020”. We welcomed 2021 with cautious optimism. Yet before we could even catch our breath after the holidays, on January 6, this Nation’s constitution, its highest ideals and one of our most symbolic and inspirational institutions, the U.S. Capitol, were attacked by domestic terrorists. As I write this Americans collectively are holding their breath in fearful anticipation of a second round of assaults, only this time not solely in Washington, D.C.

Most of us experienced all that transpired over the last nine-to-ten months on two different levels, one macro (observing the big picture playing out around us), the other micro (our real-time personal experience). The macro environment and events largely were (and always are) beyond the control of individuals and families. On the other hand, our micro or personal experiences were more within our power to control or at least we could exert influence over them. But we had to pay attention to our micro environment in order to be able to change it to be more to our liking.  It also takes time, energy and focus, and not everyone is willing to invest enough physical, emotional and intellectual capital to make a difference.  Personally I think it’s well worth the effort, and will demonstrate what I mean in future essays.

Over the next several weeks I am going to publish seven more brief essays on life in the era of the coronavirus pandemic. The first couple will dissect negative aspects of our macro and micro environments, both as my wife and I experienced them and as we observed others coping with them, starting in March 2020. There are silver linings in even the darkest clouds, of course. Several essays highlight coping mechanisms we employed that proved to be strongly positive experiences.

As you ruminate over my views, whether you find yourself arguing or agreeing with me, I hope you will take time to let me know. I’m sure many good ideas would come my direction, and I’ll be happy to share them with others who take the time to read these essays.

Comments

  1. I look forward to the series. Adaptability is in our DNA or we wouldn't be here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PANDEMIC SERIES, THIRD ESSAY (Bitcoin and Stocks, Ports in a storm or storms in a port?)

First of Two Sets of Responses to Essay "One for the Textbooks (of the Future)"

Speaking in Public: Prepare Well