Initial Responses to "Avocations Becoming Obligations" Essay

 

Initial Responses to “Avocations Becoming Obligations” Essay

 (Please note that in July these posts will no longer automatically be mailed to followers.  What I suggest, if you are interested in reading future posts as they are published, is that you send me your email address with a brief note requesting inclusion on my personal mailing list.  Every time I prepare material for this blog I first email it to a list numbering about 375 recipients at this point.  My email address is mriedy@sandiego.edu.  Note also that my last name is spelled with an "ie", not "ei".  Far too many people still type my email address incorrectly.  Mark J. Riedy)

Seven friends responded quickly to the "Avocations…Obligations" essay, and more will follow soon if history is any guide. I love the range of responses, from the ridiculous (“In San Diego I’ve offered to shovel the snow from neighbors’ driveways for 40 years, with no takers.”) to the sublime (“I felt the Pandemic gave my soul a chance to catch up.  Hope I can hold onto that for a little longer.”) In between those extremes were a series of terrific insights, which I consider worth sharing.  I have amended these submissions in order to protect the identity of the sender.

Two friends I haven’t seen in many years responded and suggested we go to lunch soon, at an outdoor restaurant, of course.  One added a round of golf to his suggestion of lunch together. He also encouraged me to continue writing in ways that challenged readers to think, saying “There is just too much ‘group’ think out there.” I was aware this same individual had a wife suffering from early onset Alzheimers, and learned she had passed away recently. She was much too young to have this disease and my heart went out to his family.  We had a long personal conversation when I called him immediately upon learning of his wife passing.

Along the lines of avocations morphing into obligations, several people offered interesting insights. For example,  a good friend of about 40 years wrote to recount words of wisdom from her mother shortly before my friend’s marriage: "Never, ever, do anything you do not want to do for the rest of your life.” She followed that advice shortly after getting married, when her answer to a question from her husband was, in truth, she did not know how to iron a shirt. My guess is that she never learned, either. Another friend sent in an old saying along the same lines: “Always do a little more than what is expected, and soon it will be expected!”

One dear friend shared a personal conversation she had with her husband.  She expressed her concern that as the restraints of the pandemic continue to weaken and she becomes more active socially with her friends (the old normal), would he feel as if she was leaving him at home. Given the copious amounts of time the two of them spent doing things (or not doing things) together over the last 12 months, her concern was for not harming his emotional state. As I would have expected, his response was fully supportive of the resumption of her social activities with women friends and made it clear, it seems, that he could manage his time and activities comfortably. I suspect this type of constructive  conversation is one that might benefit lots of couples where one or both of them are yearning to return to active social lives, golf, pickleball, bridge, mahjong and other activities.

The adult son of one of my dearest lifelong friends recounted how he and his wife had decided to use their second home, on a beach on the Atlantic, less often in order to be able to share it (at no cost) with about a dozen families of friends and relieve some of the pressures everyone was experiencing as a result of the coronavirus. These same friends, however, had wiped the smile off his face by sending emails and other not-so-subtle hints seeking a second bite out of the beachfront apple. “These (emails and hints) put us in a bit of an awkward position and it seems now lost that we were just trying to help everyone through a difficult time.”

As an aside, this younger individual very politely and respectfully also invited me to give him a call to discuss Bitcoin and cyber- and crypto-currencies. He is literally one of the brightest individuals I have ever met in my lifetime and had made a serious foray into investing in these opportunities.  He had bitten his tongue rather than respond when my piece on Bitcoin first came out, but since he was writing me again on a new topic he decided to raise the subjects of Bitcoin and related currencies. In the nicest possible way he invited me to call him, sit still, listen to him, and learn. Candidly, the role reversal is a kick: I will be the student, he the professor. I will take him up on his invitation out of respect for our long-time friendship and his intelligence, not to mention how nicely he had invited me. While my instinct is to remain comfortably and blissfully ignorant on the value of digital currencies, I owe it to him and his parents to make an effort to learn more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PANDEMIC SERIES, THIRD ESSAY (Bitcoin and Stocks, Ports in a storm or storms in a port?)

First of Two Sets of Responses to Essay "One for the Textbooks (of the Future)"

Speaking in Public: Prepare Well